Latest Southland News
Catch up on current waste news, events and information from around Southland
The Unpackit Awards: Nominations
The Unpackit Awards are run by Wanaka Wastebusters to encourage New Zealanders to choose smart packaging and raise awareness about the issue of packaging waste. The Unpackits Awards's mission is to tackle ridiculous, over-the-top-packaging. You can help the Unpackit Team to encourage companies to use packaging which is better for the environment.
Put in a nomination now for packaging you love or hate for the 2013 Unpackit Awards. Deadline for nominations is 5pm Friday July 5.
Save the Trees - No junk mail please
Sick of being bombarded with junk mail? You are not alone.
In October last year, we started our year long project to collect and record the junk mail recieved in an Invercargill households mailbox. And seven months in our results are surprising.
So far we have found that junk infiltrates your mailbox on average 4 days a week. This equals a monthly average of 79 pieces of junkmail, weighing in at 2.64kg.
Over the past 6 months, we have recieved 474 pieces of junkmail, weighing a total of 15.85kg. If every household in Invercargill recieved the same volume, it would equal 950 tonnes of junkmail at the end of the year. This is 7,600 trees worth of paper!
If you would like to save the trees, and put a stop to junk mail, email us your postal address and we'll mail you a 'no junk mail' sticker for FREE.
ANZAC Day - changes to Kerbside Recycling & Rubbish Collection
ANZAC Day - 25 April 2013
- There will be no recycling and rubbish collections in Bluff, Invercargill, Gore, Mataura or Southland District on Thursday 25 April 2013 due to ANZAC Day. Thursday collections will take place on Friday 26 April. Friday collections will take place on Saturday 27 April. Collections times may vary, so please ensure your bin is out on time.
Easter Holidays - changes to Recycling, Rubbish Collection & Transfer Station Hours
Good Friday - 29 March 2013
- There will be no recycling and rubbish collections in Bluff, Invercargill, Gore, Mataura or Southland District on Friday 29 March due to Good Friday. Friday collections will take place on Saturday 30 March. Collections times may vary, so please ensure your bin is out on time.
- All Transfer Stations in Invercargill, Bluff, Gore and Southland District will be closed on Good Friday.
Easter Sunday - 31 March 2013
- Southland District Council Transfer Stations are closed on Sunday 31 March due to Easter Sunday.
Easter Monday -1 April 2013
- There will be no recycling and rubbish collections in Bluff, Invercargill, Gore or Mataura on Monday 1 April due to Easter Monday. Collections will be one day later from 2 to 6 April eg Monday collections will take place on Tuesday, Tuesday collections will take place on Wednesday and so on with Friday collections taking place on Saturday. Normal collections will resume from Monday 8 April.
- Recycling and rubbish collections in Southland District will take place as normal.
- The Bluff and Gore Transfer Stations are closed on Easter Monday 1 April.
Resource News - Autumn 2013
Kia Ora, welcome to the autumn edition of Resource News. The next three months are really exciting with Southland switching over to the digital TV network, Environment Southland and Agrecovery collecting unwanted chemicals, release of our new Teachers' Resource, and we can't forget about Easter!
This season we are introducing a new segment to our newsletter called "Local Heroes". Our first local hero is Bluff's very own "Tracker" Black. If you have anyone you would like to nominate for our "Local Heroes" section we'd love to hear from you!
Also in this edition, we've got a solution for your autumn leaf crisis as well as our 5 tops tips for reducing waste this Easter.
We hope you enjoy this edition of Resource News.
Robyn wins ENJO car-cleaning kit valued at $150
Congratulations to Robyn Johnston who is the winner of the ENJO eco-friendly car cleaning kit valued at $150. Robyn went in the draw to win this awesome prize by correctly answering the question - how many trees were saved by Southlanders recycling in the Summer edition of Resource News - the answer was a whopping 45,242 trees.
Robyn will no longer by reaching for that bottle of carwash, instead she will be following these five simple steps. Thank you to all of those entered the competition. Make sure you keep an eye out for our next competition.
Resource News - Summer 2012
Kia Ora, welcome to the summer edition of Resource News. The temperature is rising and the silly seauson is now among us. Here at WasteNet we have come up with five easy steps towards a more sustainable summer and ten top tips to help you have an eco-friendly Christmas.
This season you will also read about how to 'eco-clean' your car, and find out where and how you can reuse and repair your old bike. Take a look at some exciting things currently happening in our community with the South Alive team and Makarewa Playcentre. Finally, for those of you holidaying around the South Island this summer, we have included some information on your nearest recycling facilities. We hope you enjoy this edition of Resource News.
Wishing you a safe and happy Christmas and an enjoyable summer!